Pages

October 12, 2010

Med Techs make interesting Mothers

For those who aren't aware my Bachelor's degree is in Clinical Laboratory Science and I am a certified Medical Technologist.  While I no longer use my skills "on the bench" I do manage a laboratory and oversee the work of two Medical Laboratory Technicians (the certification for those with a 2 year degree).   Essentially people in this field analyze body fluids and provide data to physicians.  This data is used to diagnose and/or manage illnesses.  These body fluids predominantly consist of blood and urine but actually encompass anything that can be taken from the human body - stool, sputum, cerebrospinal fluid, semen, vaginal discharge, knee fluid, bone marrow and a number of other fluids you had no idea were inside of you!

So, with that being explained it should not surprise you that I am fascinated by Olivia's body fluids.  Even before we had Olivia I was fascinated by (our dog) Buddy's poo poo.  I would tell Mark how Buddy was doing based on his poo poo from our morning walk...."I think Buddy has a tummy ache", "Buddy isn't getting enough water", "Your mom must have given Buddy table food this weekend", etc.   Now, with the addition of Olivia, I am in a Med Tech paradise.  Unlike most folks I actually enjoy changing poopy diapers and using the automated nasal aspirator to suck the snot out of her nose.  I am particularly thrilled to see a soaking wet diaper in the morning (good kidney function)!

As many moms before me have discovered, babies love for you to sing to them.  They really don't care if you are in tune or not they just love the sound of singing.  So I have come up with songs that reflect the things that are important to me.  Olivia's current favorite goes like this:

Boogers in your nose
Boogers in your nose
What will we do about the boogers in your nose?

Stinky in your pants
Stinky in your pants
What will we do about the stinky in your pants?

Spit-up on your dress
Spit-up on your dress
What will we do about the spit-up on your dress?

Lint between your toes
Lint between your toes
What will we do about the lint between your toes?

Those are the only verses I have so far but I suspect there will be more as time goes on!

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any of that experience or knowledge, but I love those same things!! I particularly LOVE sucking out her nose; I think it's soooo much fun and satisfying. I had no idea such a thing was possible, lol.

    ReplyDelete